Sunday, May 24, 2009

dance.

I don't care to dance.

Maybe it's because the majority of dancing that takes place is to music that I couldn't care less about. Maybe it's because I don't really know how. Maybe I just don't want to, I don't really know... but I do know one thing...
There is some music that moves me to dance.

There have been times I have been accused of being boring for my unwillingness to 'break it down' on command, as it were (I think I might be using as many cheesy alternate phrases for dancing as I can in this blog). However, I have come to a conclusion that there is good reason I typically do not care to 'shake it'... as it were.

Simply put... there are only so many songs that truly move me to dance.

As other people enjoy 'grooving' (as it were... and yeah, I'm done) to Soulja Boy, Sir Mix A Lot, Lil' Jon, Nelly, or... whoever graced society with expression of musical genius that is "The Electric Slide."
Or, actually, even my friends that go swing dancing on Friday nights... I just cannot bring myself to be moved by those songs. I honestly wish I could, but I just can't.

On the other hand, get me on a good day and put in something like Mates of State, maybe some Dr. Dog, and I will have reason to dance. 
There is something about some songs that moves me to dance.

Allow me to introduce a vocabulary term: Perichoresis (I don't mean to make myself seem intelligent by doing so, I only learned this term a few days ago myself).
Early church fathers used this term to describe a certain relationship within the triune God. Actually, if you break down the word into its original Greek parts, you have "peri" (around) "choresis" (dance). Therefore, this word, perichoresis, describes the way that the Trinity moves and dances within itself.
Just picture that... The Father, Son, and Spirit... gliding around one another in perfect rhythm, moving with each other as one body, yet still remaining three distinct entities. I think that is beautiful to imagine.

But there is something even more beautiful about it. The perichoresis of the triune God is no closed affair. As a matter-of-fact, it is far from it.
Father, Son, and Spirit have invited us into the dance by creating us in their image.
By calling us to live in their image, we have all been called to live as expressions of the dance... living in community, living with a passion for the created, living in Love, just like the our triune God.

I don't like to dance... but there are some songs that move me to dance.

The song that the Trinity is dancing to is one that moves me to dance... Actually, I would venture to say that, heard clearly, that song is one that would move us all to dance... to join hands with the Father, the Son, the Spirit, and dance.

We have been called to participate in The Dance.
It's time to kill our inner-wallflower, step out onto the floor and join in the beautiful movement.
It's infectious.
The song we hear is irresistible.
It's is doing something to us.
It is calling us.
It is drawing us in.
It is moving us.
Do we really have to stand here and decide?
What are we afraid of?
Let's step away from the safety of the wall.
Let us dance.

Father, Son, Spirit.
Your dance is beautiful. I am so thankful to be a part of it Lord. When I lose step, when I trip over my feet, Lord, carry me until I find my rhythm again. Sometimes I don't feel confident, I don't think I can keep up with you, find me in my weakness, fill me with your strength.
Thank you Lord for singing a song that moves me to dance. Thank you for making your song Love, Compassion, Grace, and Mercy, Lord. That is the song I want to move my feet to dance. That is the song to which I want to attune my praise, to which I want to attune my life. Help me move with you God. Guide me, teach me, help me be who you've called me to be.
Amen.

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for this, Jesse. You bring it home!

    ReplyDelete