Sunday, December 6, 2009

discipline.

This is my current conviction.

Now is the time that I enter a season of discipline.

Work harder.
Exercise more.
Eat healthier.
Pray more.
Practice kindness.
Think more.
Be quiet more.
Spend less.
Give more.
Have more conversations.
Invest more in others.
Be intentional.

I don't think it's any mistake that God has chosen the holiday season, a season of over-indulgence, over-spending, and (for me at least) laziness, to place this conviction on my heart.
I know that He is asking more of me than I really want to give, and surely I can come up with several reasons for why I don't really need to undergo any major changes. But that's not the point.

This conviction of discipline is a conviction to dive deeper into the rhythms of God. If I really want to find my heartbeat matching the rhythm of my Father's, then I will willingly submit to a life of more noble discipline. And this has certainly been a weakness of mine for far too long.

Maybe it boils down to this: Don't just breathe... live.

I only write this so that you may keep me accountable, as it also reminds me of this personal challenge. It's time I made some changes.
If you feel so compelled as to join me in this conviction, then all the more we can share in seeking holy discipline.

And what better season to start than Advent?

No comments:

Post a Comment