Monday, December 13, 2010

Music Snobbery: My Top Albums of 2010

20. All Delighted People EP - Sufjan Stevens

Starting with an EP? Yes, because it was just as long as an LP. Some good songs on here, but I can't help but miss the "old Sufjan."










19. Up From Below - Edward Sharpe & the Magnetic Zeros

Feel-good album that sounds good too. Low on the list because I don't often enjoy listening to the whole album, but select songs never get old, namely, "Home."
(Apparently this came out in 2009, but I'm leaving it for the sake of nice, round numbers.)







18. Crushes (The Covers Mixtape) - Mates of State

I love Mates of State... I love them so much that them putting out a covers album is almost a strike against them. I enjoy listening to this, but I look forward to their next, true Mates of State album (probably next year?).








17. Sidewalks - Matt & Kim

Carefree music. Good single, pretty good album. Not my favorite to listen to on repeat, but definitely worth buying.










16. Bad Books - Bad Books

I haven't spent a whole lot of time with this album, but I like Manchester and I like Kevin Devine... so I'm pretty happy with the combination of the two.









15. A Beautiful Exchange - Hillsong

Some solid worship songs on this album. Loved incorporating them at sanctuary.

14. Broken Bells - Broken Bells
Oh how I've missed James Mercer's voice. It's not quite The Shins, but I like it.

13. Gorilla Manor - Local Natives

Number 13 enters us into the "man, this is a really great album" portion of the list. Loved Gorilla Manor, and it only settles so far down because there are so many other albums that eclipsed it at some point in the year. This is a must-have though.








12. Volume Two - She & Him

It's fun, it's childish, and it's Zooey Deschanel and M. Ward. I like that.













11. Passion: Awakening - Passion Conferences

This is the only cd on the list on which the vocals of Jesse Baker are featured ... along with over 22,000 other people, but still... I'm technically, kinda-sorta, nominated for a Grammy. But this one's great not only because I was a part of the event, but there's some really great worship songs on here that will affect countless churches as Passion always does.




10. Live at Eddie's Attic - The Civil Wars



As John Paul White says in between songs on this album, "If you're not sad now, you're gonna be." But it is a beautiful, beautiful kind of sadness. It's amazing to me that this young band is already gaining steam so quickly (especially in Nashville) in spite of having only released this live recording and a two song EP. Look for their first studio album near the top of my list in 2011.






9. Age of Adz - Sufjan Stevens 
My relationship with this album was complicated until I had the privilege of seeing it performed live. It's weird, it's not for everyone, and it's definitely not the Sufjan we're used to, but it still draws me in now that I've experienced it and not just heard it. 

The best way I can explain it is that there's a lot of chaos on the album, but it's a great feeling to reconnect with the familiar voice that pierces through in each song. 




8. Flags - Brooke Fraser

This is a surprise for a lot of reasons, but I just can't shake this album. It may be a point of bias because I have a big-fat worship-leader crush on Brooke Fraser, but I also just really love a lot of the songs on this album. There are a couple weak points, and I would never call this the "best" album on the list. But there's something about it that connects well with me.






7. Songs from Jacob's Well Vol. I & II: even the darkness will not be dark to You - Mike Crawford and His Secret Siblings

You probably haven't heard of this unless you've heard myself or one of a handful of others (Thanks Caroline Morris!) that have been lucky enough to catch wind of it, gush over it, but if you are a Christian that loves music, but a Christian that generally hates Christian music... you need to check this out.
Best comparison I can think of is they are like The Decemberists-turned worship band.




6. Brothers - The Black Keys

I think I was a little behind on this one, but it didn't take long to fall in love with the Jimi Hendrix-meets-Jack White vibe of The Black Keys. Just try to keep yourself from air drumming... you can't do it.









5. History From Below - Delta Spirit

Top 5, here we go... You want a solid folk-rock album, they don't get a whole lot better than Delta Spirit. This was my first introduction to Delta Spirit, so if it is for you as well, be sure to get their last album, Ode To Sunshine also.








4. Darwin Deez – Darwin Deez

Another one that not many have heard of, but everyone should. Darwin Deez doesn't spend a lot of time taking himself too seriously, and he will will make you smile. I would venture to say this music is pretty approachable for most anyone. But if you love lighthearted indie rock, I'll go so far as to say you'll love this.







3. Big Echo - The Morning Benders

This album is just really good. I don't even have much to say about it.













2. Shame, Shame - Dr. Dog

If you know me, this is no surprise. I love just about everything Dr. Dog has ever done, and this album was no exception. When it comes down to it, there's no reason this wouldn't be a #1 for the year, but there was just no beating Mumford.









1. Sigh No More - Mumford & Sons

Possibly the most predictable #1 there could possibly be if you've spoken to me within the past six months or so. Technically this album came out in 2009, but not in the States until February of this year... so it totally counts. And I actually didn't catch on until this summer, but since then my last.fm profile shows that I've already listened to these songs fourth most of any other artist, only bested by Dr. Dog, Mates of State, and the Avett Brothers, three favorites with several albums a piece, yet Mumford only has this one album so far... And the best part is, it still hasn't gotten old.

It also doesn't hurt that seeing Mumford & Sons live was the best concert I have ever attended, and it's not possible for me to say that lightly.

This band is a perfect storm of fantastic lyricism meeting with a perfectly-suited musical accompaniment. Like the Avett Brothers on somewhat of a different plain, Mumford & Sons has reinvented the standard for folk and bluegrass music in the mainstream, and I love what they're doing with it. 




No comments:

Post a Comment