Wednesday, March 4, 2009

3x5.



I used to be a big John Mayer fan....... ladies.

But one of my favorite John Mayer songs has always been "3x5", a song about giving up on living behind a camera lens and experiencing life for what it really is. No filter, no focus, just live in the moment.
The song also alludes to the fact that he won't be able to show people pictures, but because he was fully present in the moment, he'll be able to tell you about it, and bring you along the next time.

This concept has stuck with me (obviously) for quite some time... there is something very real about this idea of living in the moment instead of trying to capture it all on film so you can experience that same moment later.
[Insert Demetri Martin joke: "The digital camera is a great invention because it allows us to reminisce. Instantly."]

However, despite how ideas in this song have stuck with me, I have rarely ever put them into practice. 

As I prepare for Saba, round 3, I'm reminded that the first year I went to Saba, I came home with no less than 250 pictures. I actually remember having to go through and delete some so I would have enough memory for all of them.
The second year, I was aware of how much time I spent taking pictures, so I only came home with about 120 pictures that year.

I'm thinking about leaving the camera at home this time.

Sure, there will be moments I will hate I don't have captured on film, but the truth is, I've been there, and I know what it looks like now. It's time to be present in every moment.

It's time to stop viewing the world through a lens, and start living as an active participant in God's story.

Be. Intentional.

No more 3x5's.

No comments:

Post a Comment